Monday, August 16, 2010

Where I'm From

I have looked for this EVERYWHERE and finally found it.
I wrote this poem in 7th grade and then updated it in high school. It's still pretty accurate.

Where I’m From

I’m from dance classes

From dancing in any place that had enough room

I’m from swim lessons at the neighborhood pool

From counting the days till summer and swimming would start

I’m from parents who hardly had enough time at one point

And then having too much time later on

I’m from the stories of when Jessie was my age

And her father always telling her, “Jessie Bell, children are seen and not heard.”

From her telling me she always wants to hear what I say

I’m from private schools and uniforms everyday

I’m from church every weekday, but not on Sundays

I’m from the hymns that were my favorites and my mother’s favorites

I’m from stories I don’t even remember

From jumping off the couch just to go to bed

I’m from the song my dad made up just for me

From the words I hoped to hear him sing before I went to sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment