I had to complete the 3 good surprises, and the 3 bad surprises of teaching for the grad school class I'm getting credit for. Here's what they are so far....
1. Parent involvement, they have been very supportive and stayed in touch as much as needed. They are always willing to help and have even offered to buy things for my class!
2. How much support there is in the school system- I have at times felt like there was almost too much support. Everyone is willing to help out all the times and is willing to give you anything they have to help you.
3. The students, that on paper seem like they will be the most difficult, behavior problems, ESL or SPED are willing to work hard, you just have to find the best way to reach them. And that hasn’t been too hard yet!
Big Surprises that have been hard to work with:
1. The paper- there is paper everywhere! Making copies, receiving copies, paperwork, the paper handed back into me from students, the endless amounts of forms to keep track of. The amount of dead trees just never seems to end! And it’s becoming difficult to have a place for all of it to go.
2. Meetings, it seems that the meetings match the endless amounts of paper in the classroom. I have meetings before school, after school, in between school and it cuts into the planning time, grading time and any extra time you have. Along with the endless amount of time spent meeting- is the education acronyms that go along with everything described in the meetings. They are hard to keep up, hard to understand and no one takes the time to explain them.
3. Professional Development: Before school I spent at least 2 solid weeks in training for new teachers, training for old teachers and there is more to come as the year goes on. It is surprising how much of the content in the professional development is repeated and is simple common knowledge. It seems those two weeks would have been better spent working on the actual lessons I was teaching and setting up my classroom.
This reminds of me what my life is like now.
No comments:
Post a Comment